Imagine your ego wrote you the following letter.
Dear (Insert your name)
I want you to know that I am still very present and powerful in your life. Remember that with me “Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!” How do I know? Well when you read this you will recognize me in all my many forms.
Let me tell you I will resist you with all my power and ingenuity when you,
- Imply that I am merely a story or illusion of the mind. Not so, since I am part of the very fabric of your being. I am you and there is no other option for your life other than to live by my agenda.
- Try to tell yourself that busyness is not good. I’m telling you if you rest you rust. Being does not precede doing. It is the other way around.
- Indicate that I am the troublemaker responsible for your suffering. Your suffering comes from not meeting my needs. I need to look good, stand out, and be better than others. When you don’t strive for the latter it causes you no end of pain. So get over your renunciation kick and enjoy living with me at the front and center of your life.
- Attempt to deconstruct me with bogus philosophies that lead you into the mystery of your being. I have everything figured out. I can define exactly who and what you are.
- Stop trying to improve me. I am all about self-help and improvement. I have a seminar and program for everything.
- Challenge my dualistic view of life. There is a them/us distinction. Don’t try to tell me that I am connected to all other humans. Don’t you know how special I am? I stand out from the crowd.
- Imply that materialism (greed is good), competition (smarter is what I am), pride (i’m at the top of the pecking order), and self-assertion (notice me above all others) are paths to be managed rather than embraced with gusto. You amount to nothing if you don’t follow me.
- Pursue practices like mindfulness, meditation, and prayer that take you away from a future or past focus. Or worse still. You will try to live in the present. That’s just a joke!
Finally, stop trying to ignore or eradicate me. Buddah fought Mara. Jesus fought the devil in the wilderness. Look where that got them, poverty and worse, crucifixion.
What would you write to your ego in response?