“It is unwise to be too sure of one’s own wisdom” – Mahatma Gandhi
“True humility is not thinking less of yourself. But thinking of yourself less” – Rick Warren
A humble leader stands head and shoulders above others by virtue of this quality of character. So test yourself to see how humble you actually are.
With a simple yes/no answer to each question below get a quick read on your humility quotient.
1. In pondering the big questions of life do you ever admit, “I don’t know”?
2. Are you inclined to draw the answers out of others instead of dictating the answer?
3. Are you well aware of your human limitations and failings?
4. Do you recognize that your success in life is built on the shoulders of others?
5. Do you have a daily sense of gratitude?
6. Do you recognize the contribution of other cultures to the strength of your own?
7. Do you possess a self-deprecating sense of humor?
8. Do you put the needs of others before your own?
9. Is your success determined more by the contribution you make than by the competition you win?
10. Do you downplay your sense of importance and entitlement?
Scores (# of times you answer yes)
8 and above – high level of humility and self-awareness
6-7 – moderate level of humility and self-awareness
3-5 – A little arrogant with low self-awareness
0-2 – You need to work on becoming more humble
After you rate yourself have others rate your level of humility. Compare your scores with theirs to determine possible blind spots and areas of your life that need work.